Striking against the guard can be a tricky and perilous endeavor. In the blink of an eye a skilled Brazilian jiu jitsu practitioner will transform a punch thrown at him into a sweep or submission. Therefore when striking against the guard a mixed martial arts fighter must take precautions. Let’s examine how best to attack various guards with strikes.
Key concepts for striking while in a closed guard or kneeling in an open guard:
1. Maintain control of your posture at all times.
2. Never place your hands on the floor.
3. Stay active. Use striking to set up your passes and your passes to set up your strikes.
4. Always be looking to gain a more dominant position. Do not be content to remain in the guard.
Key concepts for striking while standing over an open guard:
1. Keep your head back and maintain good posture.
2. Keep your lead leg bent and strong.
3. If you gain control of your opponents legs immediately work to pass the guard or set up a
Key concepts for striking against the half guard:
1. To prevent a sweep pin the opponent. Keep his back flat to the mat.
2. Stay active. Use striking to set up your passes and your passes to set up your strikes