Monthly Archives: March 2014
Monthly Archives: March 2014
Scranton Mixed Martial Arts is proud to announce a brand new beginners only self defense program. This program is designed for anyone who is interested in learning the skills and techniques necessary to properly defend themselves in a self defense situation. The course is based on the teachings of the Gracie Family and is designed to properly prepare ANYONE for a self defense situation. The Gracie family has been teaching the worlds most effective form of Self defense for years and has proved the effectiveness of this course time and time again in real life situations and now you can learn the very same techniques right in NEPA. This course will be taught by the very best self defense instructors in the area.
Some of the topics and techniques you will learn are:
1. Standing up
2. Blocking and avoiding punches
3. Escaping from an attacker on top of you
4. Proper Falling Technique
5. Escaping a Headlock
6. How To Safely Close The Distance
7. How To Maintain A Dominant Position
8. How To Take An Assailant Down To The Ground
9. Bear Hug Escape
10. Escape and Defend Chokes
11. How To Break Someone’s Arm
12. How To Choke Someone Unconscious
13. Proper Way To Throw Elbows
14. Going From Being Underneath an attacker to on top
….. And much much more.
The course will be broken up into 12 different lessons. One lesson per week which will allow you to pick up all of the lessons and techniques quickly and easily. We have plenty of time to review all of the course material. We plan in time for questions and answers. You will get to work with the areas best self defense instructors. You will be learning side by side with other beginners who are interested in learning and EFFECTIVE form of self defense in a clean fun and friendly environment. You will be learning these techniques in the areas best facility on a 4,000 square foot sprung floor. The training surface is second to none in the area and one of the best in the nation. This makes learning the techniques easier and most important safer than any other school in NEPA. If you have any questions please just fill out the form below and one of our instructors will get back to you and answer any questions you have.
As always we strive to provide the best for all of our students. Many of our students come to us to learn self defense. Some come to learn a new hobby or get back in shape and some come to test themselves and compete. Others after having trained for a while decide to give competition a try. Well next weekend March 15th there is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu tournament in Philadelphia, Pa. Scranton MMA will have a lot of its members, coaches and instructors competing in this tournament.
It is not too late to go to the tournament if you want to watch or if you want to give competition a shot. The tournament is being put on by our good friends at ‘The Good Fight’ they hold lots of tournaments in our area and they are always put on a good event that is well attended and organized.
This tournament has a slightly different format which many of us are really looking forward too. It is a submission only tournament with a nice twist. Each match will be fifteen minutes long and the only way to win is to get your opponent to submit. If there is no submission both competitors lose! This is a very unique format and should prove to be a very exciting format.
There are three ways that every grappler can take advantage of this tournament:
1. Train, Train, Train! Train harder, Smarter and with more focus during the next two weeks. Even if you are not competing use it as motivation. Motivation to help your teammates improve and motivation for yourself to improve.
2. Go watch. If you have never competed going to a tournament first is a great idea. It will help you in countless ways before you compete. Also by going you show support for your teammates who have are out their competing and on tournament day there are lots of things you can do to help your team. Sometimes just hearing your team cheer and root you on during a match means a great deal.
3. COMPETE! Go for it. Tournaments are not a life and death situation. Just grab your gi throw it in the car and compete. Have fun and enjoy testing yourself. Win or lose you will learn a lot and improve. By all means you need to give 100% and try with everything you have to win but at the end of the day you will learn and improve and that is one of the best things about competition.
If you have any questions about this tournament please let us know. If you plan on going to watch or if you are interested in competing please Let Frank, Matt or Jess know ASAP.
PS This format is very similar to Metamoris which we also enjoy a great deal and will be watching soon. To get more info on that event click here: www.scrantonmma.com/free-open-mat-event