Archive

Monthly Archives: July 2011

July 27, 2011

Scranton MMA Kids Jiu-Jitsu Promotions!

The instruction Staff at Scranton MMA is pleased to announce the following promotions during last night’s “Bullyshield” Kids Jiu-jitsu class.

1 Stripe :

Cole  Wendolowski

Jake Leslie

Ricky Kryeski

 

2 Stripes

Gavin Williams

Braden Ruether

Nathan  Ruether

These promotions are a testament to all of the hard work  our kids put in on a daily basis, not only  working to improve their own technique, but also NB: A jouer en plein écran, comme toutes les machine a sous gratuite en ligne à sous !Retrouvez d’autres jeux de Machines a sous similaires a Fortune Teller. showing  a willingness to help the newer students rapidly improve as well, it is because of this type of dedication from our students that Scranton MMA has the most successful  Kids Martial arts program in ALL of Northeast PA!

 

July 26, 2011

Advancing in the BJJ Belt System at Scranton MMA

At Scranton MMA white belt through purple belt is going to be the most critical phase of development for any student. A Gracie Jiu Jitsu black belt is doing the same moves today that he learned years ago as a white belt except that he executes them faster and more efficiently now. This early stage of bjj development is where you will discover your “style” and experiment extensively with leverage. It is a great time in your Gracie Jiu Jitsu journey.

In order to maximize your progress in the early stages of Gracie Jiu Jitsu you need to attend classes, work with a dedicated partner, practice technique repetitively, and drill often. This “secret” is 95% of what you need to do to turbo-charge your learning curve. The other 5% is what you do outside the academy. A great way to improve your game is to find a top level fighter with a similar body type as yours. Study what they do: what moves work best for them, how they apply moves you learned in class, and what strategies they employ against different opponents. Always be hungry to learn! See you on the mats!

July 26, 2011

What is a Gracie Jiu Jitsu Blue Belt?

Every new student wants to know, “How do I earn a bjj blue belt here at Scranton MMA?” The answer to that question begins with first recognizing what a blue belt student is. A blue belt student is the student that is focused on the here and now, the immediate results. The techniques they have learned in brazilian jiu jitsu are not yet fully ingrained in the muscle memory and the student still does not have a complete understanding of when they need to use a certain technique. This is the primary reason a blue belt makes mistakes. The blue belt is the student that will find himself mounted and without any regard of defense for the neck or arm begin an upa or series of upas to escape only to find they are worse off than when they started the escape! While this can be frustrating the blue belt student is having a lot of fun because they see the improvements they have made since the white belt but they are still learning as they fall prey to the higher ranks. So returning to the question at hand, “How do I earn a bjj blue belt here at Scranton MMA” The very simple answer is to do work. A student with the desire to earn a blue belt must quite simply train, put in the hours on the mats and a blue belt you will earn. A blue belt student is expected to understand the theory of positional hierarchy and have the street essentials and foundations curriculums completed and be able to execute them at a certain level. The formula is simple! See you on the mats!

July 25, 2011

Thank You From Scranton MMA!

To all the members of Scranton MMA:

Yesterday, the first ever Freestyle Judo competition on the east coast, The Electric City Freestyle Judo championships, was held at Marywood University in Scranton PA and was a resounding success!  We would just like to take this opportunity to say “Thank You”.

Thank you to all the competitors, thank to all the parents, thank you to all the volunteers who helped to play a part in the event jameshallison casino running so smoothly.  Planning a tournament is never an easy thing, the hours are long and the stress level is high but when you have a group of people, who are routinely willing to give of their time and their talents  like we do,  it certainly makes things  a lot easier.

Yesterday’s efforts both on and off the mat, personify why Scranton MMA is and will continue to be the premier Martial arts training facility in all of Northeast Pennsylvania!

 

Thank you again

Sincerely,

Tom McGuire and Matt Marcinek

Tournament Directors, Electric City Freestyle Judo Championships

 

1 2 3 8